Friday 29 January 2010

Starting a new commission. / Inicio de una nueva comisión.



Well today is the day to start a new commission, a sweet little black pony by the name of Merlin. In the meantime, here a couple more pochade paintings I did whilst in Cornwall last November.
The sea sketch was done on my way home from a few rather wet and windy days in Cornwall and this is Cape Cornwall. I did sit in the car with the pochade box on my lap as it was very windy and quite cold. It took about half an hour to do and measures 6" x 8". The second one of the church is Sancreed Church. This is the place where Florence Munnings (Sir Alfred Munnings first wife) was buried. Also buried here are Stanhope and Elizabeth Forbes of the Newlyn School of artists. It's a really quaint little church and I sat under a rather large thick holly bush to paint this as it was raining and the holly bush being evergreen and thick acted rather like an umbrella. What rain did get to me didn't seem to affect the palette or the painting. This one again is 6" x 8" and took about half an hour. It was too cold to sit out for too long! If you like plein air painting then a pochade box is just what you need. I opted for the one that takes 3 boards of 6" x 8" and I can fit everything that I need including paints, medium, turps, brushes, palette knife and rags! I got mine from a chap in Minehead who also sells the ones that take the 8" x 10" boards (another really useful size). I bought mine without the handle but put D rings on it and added a dog collar as a handle as I didn't really need a shoulder strap. However, I have put a thin light nylon strap from an old bag or something onto the D rings so that I do have the option if I want it. The link to buy the pochade boxes is below and he is a really friendly helpful chap who will put a thumb hole in the bottom of the smaller box if you should want it. Right, off to start the pony drawing, I'm also babysitting 2 little Norfolk Terriers this weekend so with them and Moss, it will be a busy weekend! http://www.pochade.org.uk/index.htm  /  
Pues bien, hoy es el día para iniciar una nueva comisión, un dulce pequeño pony negro con el nombre de Merlín. Mientras tanto, aquíun par de cuadros más pochade hice mientras que en Cornwall pasado mes de noviembre.
El boceto del mar se hizo en mi camino a casa desde unos pocos días en lugar húmedo y ventoso en Cornwall y esto es Cabo Cornwall. Me senté en el coche con el cuadro de pochade en miregazo, ya que hacía mucho viento y frío bastante. Tomó cerca demedia hora para hacer y medidas de 6 "x 8". El segundo de la iglesia es Sancreed Iglesia. Este es el lugar donde Florence Munnings (Sir Alfred Munnings primera esposa) fue enterrado.También aquí están enterrados Stanhope y Elizabeth Forbes de la Escuela Newlyn de los artistas. Es una pequeña iglesia  muy 
pintoresca  y yo nos sentamos debajo de un lugar de gran espesoracebo para pintar esto como estaba lloviendo y el acebo de hoja perenne que se espesa y actuado más bien como un paraguas.Lo que la lluvia hizo llegar a  no parece afectar a la paleta o la pintura. Esta vez es de 6 "x 8 " y tomó cerca de media hora. Hacía demasiado frío para sentarse durante mucho tiempo! Si te gusta pintar al aire libre a continuación, un cuadro de pochade es justolo que necesita. Opté por la que se da tres consejos de administración de 6 "x 8 " y que puede caber todo lo que necesito incluyendo pinturas, medio, aguarrás, pinceles, espátula y los trapos! Yo tengo la mía de un capítulo en Minehead que también vende los que tienen los 8 "x 10" tablas (otro tamaño realmenteútil). Compré el mío sin el mango, pero poner los anillos D en él yagregó un collar de perro como un mango que yo realmente no necesita una correa para el hombro. Sin embargo, he puesto una correa de nylon delgada luz de un viejo saco o algo en los anillos D dede modo que tengo la opción si lo desea . El enlace para comprar las cajas pochade está por debajo y es un tipo de ayuda muy amable que se le hizo un agujero del pulgar en la parte inferior de la caja más pequeña si usted lo desea. Derecha, salida para iniciar el dibujo de caballo, yo también soy niñera dos pequeños Terrier Norfolk este fin de semana con ellos y Moss,que será un fin de semana muy ocupado!  http://www.pochade.org.uk/index.htm

8 comments:

  1. You have really caught the atmosphere and feeling of the sea on the Cape Cornwall Sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for this comment. It was a really weird day because the sun was shining but the wind was blowing a hooly and it was really cold wind chill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like your oil sketches Cathy. I was in Cornwall in October but my reference work (wishy-washy watercolours with scribbled notes) are no way as impresssive as yours! Thanks for the info on pochade boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I am quite new to oil sketching outdoors (other than under tutorship painting live moving horses for a morning or an afternoon. I find it much easier to do these little boards rather than the bigger ones as I think you see the picture as a whole and work on as such. I would highly recommend a pochade box, but make sure it's a small light one as carrying a heavy loaded one becomes tiresome and you won't have the incentive. These boxes are small enough to carry around all the time and the boards small enough to do really quick sketches. I hunted high and low for a decent pochade box and the one I have was the lightest and most efficient for my needs. You will see a picture of it on the first photo I posted - me with Moss. I do also do postcard size watercolours with a pocket size w/c set and postcard book. I will try to post one of them soon (it's in the car at the moment and it's too cold to go out!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm . . . yes, it's the pocket-size w/c set that I use for en plein air stuff too. But what I meant was that your oil sketches look good enough to sell, whereas the watercolours I come home with are strictly for studio reference only!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very kind Kristine but I wouldn't consider these really good enough to sell as proper paintings. I would let them go as sketches only. I plan to do some larger "proper" paintings from them one day when I have time (bit of a joke with all the drawing commissions and exhibition pieces that I have to get finished or ready!). Could do with 48 hours in a day or to be able to take a tablet that would enable me to live without sleeping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we could all do with 48-hour days! My Cornwall sketches aren't top of my 'To Do' list either, but good luck with all the commissions and exhibition pieces. Your dedication is VERY IMPRESSIVE (0:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I strive to improve all aspects of my work. I don't believe there is ever a time when one can stop learning. I do as much as I possibly can in the areas that I wish to do at the moment. The only way to improve is to keep practising and keep looking and more importantly keep listening to those one chooses to teach you - and act on it! I have very special people whom I have chosen (and very luckily for me) they seem ok about being my tutors in the chosen fields. Their work inspires me to get better. I also believe that when you get to the day when you think you've learnt it all - that's the day to give up and go and do something else because what's the point if you think you're good enough? The challenge in it all is the learning to get better. Frustrating at times but life can be frustrating (like not having 48 hours in a day!)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to make a comment on my blog.